Monday, October 26, 2015

10-25-15 U.S. Open (Day 2)

After a long time from not competing in Jiu Jitsu, today was the first time in 7 years that I stepped onto the mat at a tournament.  Earlier this year I decided that it was time to step back onto the mat.

On Saturday I spent the day at the tournament watching my teammates compete, and waiting for keeping myself distracted from the fact that I was finally going to compete again for the first time in 7 years, and for the first time as a purple belt.  I was a little nervous to say the least.  
At the tournament my match for the finals in my division was against Dion Edge.  Dion was a really cool guy.  We talked a lot before our match.  We talked about training, running, cycling, swimming, and just life.  One thing I love about Jiu Jitsu is that you can meet someone you're going to compete against, have a blast hanging our with the person your getting ready to fight, try your best to tap this person out via choke or arm-lock during that match, and then shake hands when you're done and congratulate each other.  Now, I'm not saying it's always like that, but most of the time it is.
It was nice getting out and going to a tournament again.  I didn't realize how much I missed competing until this weekend.  I had a blast meeting new people, watching friends compete, and just hanging out.  
On Tuesday Bernard and I will keep up with our normally weekly training.  There's a tournament in February that we're looking at doing so we will spend the next few months working on what worked at the U.S. Open and improving upon what didn't work.

This week I need to make sure I get back into running.  I get to pace the Fresno 2 Cities on November 1st.  I'll try to get my weight down a little to make the 26.2 mile run a little easier.

I have a pretty booked month of running this November.  I'm pacing the marathon on November 1st, pacing my friend Dave at his first 100 mile race on the 8th at the Rio del Lago 100, and then I'm racing the San Joaquin River 100k on the 14th.

Until next time...

KEEP RUNNING!!!!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment