Friday, August 9, 2013

Caffeine Free (8 days until my next 100)

So... 8 days until my next 100 mile race.  This is my usual time frame before a race where I cut out all caffeine from my diet.  I read somewhere that caffeine take about 5-7 days to get out of your system.  There have been studies that have said caffeine can enhance sports performance.  One thing that I do now before every 50 or 100 mile race is cut out caffeine out of my diet for at least 8 days before the event.  This way, when I consume caffeine on race day it's more effective.  Cutting out caffeine the week before an event also helps me get plenty of sleep the week before because with a lack of caffeine I fall asleep very easy.

Other than cutting out caffeine, today has been pretty normal.  I got in my workout early in the afternoon.  Today's workout was a lot of push-ups, leg lifts, and single leg squats.  I also started doing a plank everyday.  Today I was able to hold a plank for 4 minutes. 

I haven't gotten a chance to run in the last 3 days, but I think that's good because I'm feeling more and more recovered from last weekends Cool Moon 100.  I'm sure taking it easy and letting my body rest is a good thing.

On a very happy note, my new shoes showed up today at the running store that I work at.  I'm going to take my New Balance 1690's out for a short run this weekend and see how much I like them.  I really hope I really like these shoes and that these will be the shoes that get me through the Run de Vous 100 next weekend.


Until next time...


KEEP RUNNING!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you can get it out of your system quickly and easily (the caffeine) .. I have tried for 2 of my 3 marathons, but neither worked too well. I was just grumpy. haha. Also, what i have read is that it takes 10-14 days..(?)
    Hope you had a good test run!

    ReplyDelete