Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Starting Over

I have decided to start over and do a reset with my running.

I have always wanted to check out the training programs on Garmin Connect so I figured I would finally do it.  I haven't been very motivated to run lately, so I figure this will be something that will hold me accountable to keep up some kind of training.  I selected a half marathon distance with a goal time of 1 hour and 32 mins as my target time.  When I was in pretty decent shape a few years ago 1 hour and 30 mins for a half marathon was within my range.  The goal of 1 hour 32 mins is the fastest that Garmin Connect will let me pick from.

I started my training program yesterday (Monday) and it went pretty well.  I only had to run for 9 mins, so it was a nice change of pace.  I ran a benchmark workout so that the watch could figure out my fitness level and use that to make my program.  I did a 2 min warmup, 5 mins at a working pace, and a 2 min cooldown.  From what I understand the app will use my metrics to build my training plan.  I think it's suppose to take into consideration if I'm actually hitting the goals it gives me, or if I'm not hitting them or surpassing them.

The program has me running on Mon, Thurs, and Sat.  I picked these days myself because I think it will work the best with my schedule.  I'm going to try my best to keep updates after every workout I do.  My end date in sometime at the end of August.  

I'm a little unsure if I'll be running any ultras this year, Headlands 100 is up in the air and I really don't know at this point if I have the desire to tackle that distance anymore... but only time will tell on that one.  I have said that I would never do another 100 miler a bunch of times, and I keep finding myself doing them.

At this point in time I'm just focused on this training program. 





No comments:

Post a Comment