Sunday, May 8, 2022

Hill Repeats

Yesterday I had a pretty busy schedule, but I needed to do my hill repeat workout.  I figured that I would be off from work just before 7:00pm, and I would have about an hour of daylight after work to get my run in.

I haven't done any hill repeats in a long time and the workout called for 15 secs of running uphill and 15 secs of running down hill.  I haven't ran hills in so long that I had no idea what the actual distance would even look like.

There is a hill at Woodward Park that I usually did hill repeats on, and it's a pretty long hill, so I figured it would be a good choice.

The workout was very similar to the last workout I did with the 800 meter repeats on Thursday but with hill repeats substituted for the 800 meter repeats.

I started the workout with a 5 min warmup, and then did a cadence workout, followed by an acceleration drill.  After that I headed over to the hill I would do my repeats on.  I ran hard for 15 secs and made it half way up the hill.  The next step was to have a 1 min walking recovery.  I walked a little more up the hill anticipating that the distance I would cover running down hill would be greater that the covered going uphill.  I ran downhill for 15 secs and then once I hit the 15 sec mark, I turned around and ran back up the hill.  I did the run up, rest, then run down drill 4 times.  Since it was only 4 repeats I made sure to make my effort as hard as I was able to.

After I was done with the hill repeats I did a 5 min recovery jog back to my car.

The workout only took around 25 mins by the time I was done.  It's been nice not overtraining like I tend to do.

Tomorrow I have a pretty straightforward workout.  5 min warmup, a 7 mile run at a relaxed pace, then a 5 min cool down.

I'll probably just do the 1 mile loop I mapped out around my house.  I've always liked doing loops, even if they can get a little boring.


until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment