Monday, November 30, 2015

Speed Work

Today I started my day off with an easy 3 mile run after I dropped my kids off at school.  I was debating about doing 6 miles, but I had to be at work early today and didn't really feel like pushing my pace since it was pretty cold outside. I also made plans to run with Megan later in the day so I wanted to have somewhat fresh legs for our run.

I wasn't too sure what my afternoon workout would entail. I told Megan that we would do whatever she wanted to do today.  I had a feeling that she would pick speed work, because last I let her pick, that's what we did.

I normally do all my speed workouts on the track.  Megan ran cross country and knows Woodward Park pretty well, so we're able to do our speed workouts at the park instead of the track.

After a short warmup we started our speed workout.  Megan told me the route we were going to take and that we were starting off with a fast mile.  We got ready on our starting line, Megan took off running and then I took off 30 seconds later.  I did my best to chase her down, and by the time we got to the one mile mark I was pretty exhausted from trying to catch up to her.

After our one mile we made our way back to where we started.  Our next part of the workout was 2 x 1/2 mile repeats.  Megan took off, and this time I started about 15 seconds behind her. 

After our 2 x 1/2 mile repeats were done we started on the last part of our workout.

The last part of our workout was 4 x 1/4 mile repeats.  I like running 1/4 mile repeats... on the track.  Doing this kind of workout at the park on uneven ground with hills is new for me, and to be honest is very challenging.

When we were done with the last part of our workout my lags felt pretty dead.  Speed work really hurts, but it's also really fun.  I'm feeling more confident running fast again, and that's mainly due to having a training partner that is really pushing me.

I hope that Megan is benefiting from running with me as much as I have already benefited running with her.

Until next time...

KEEP RUNNING!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment