Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Woodside


My all time favorite 50k course is the Woodside 50k course.  I set my 50k PR at Woodside, and back in February 2010 it was my very first ultramarathon.  I've honestly lost track of how many times I've ran the Woodside 50k.

The course is very beautiful, it's full of giant trees and it's very green.  Most of the times that I've ran the Woodside race it's rained, and it's a really fun course to run when it's a little muddy and rainy.

A couple days ago Pacific Coast Trail Runs put on the Woodside 50k.  I had the day off from work, but didn't put aside enough money for the end of the year to cover the entry for the race.  I also am not currently in the shape I would want to be in to run this race.  This is one of those events that I want to be in good shape to run because it's a fun course to run fast.  After all the running I did in November, I knew that there was no way I was recovered enough to run a fast race in December.

Since I wasn't in shape to run the race, and I was also lacking the funds to pay for the entry, I decided to do the next best thing... I helped out at the race.

I ended up being asked to sweep a 17k part of the course.  This was awesome, because it gave me a chance to run part of the course, and give back a little to the trail running community.

Sweeping the course basically involves picking up all the trail markers that were used for the race, along with any trash or anything else that might have been dropped on the trail.  The trail basically needed to be in the condition that it was in before the race took place.

I took my Nathan pack and a bottle of water and set out on the trail.  It was nice being out on the trail.  It was quiet and peaceful.  Since I started my sweeping long after the race had started I had most of the trail to myself, with the exception of the random hikers that I would run into.

I didn't take any video of my run, but I did pull out my cellphone a few times and took a few pictures.

Most of the pictures turned out a little blurry.  I totally should have took a real camera with me and not my cellphone.  Even with the pictures I took being substandard, you can still see how beautiful this course is.

It's one of the few ultras that I will keep running time and time again.  I never get tired of running this course.


Until next time...

KEEP RUNNING!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment