Thursday, October 31, 2013

Wascally Wabbit 1/2 Marathon 09-21-2013



Back in September I paced the 1 hour 50 min group at the Wascally Wabbit 1/2 Marathon.  This was my second year running the event, and my first year running it as a pacer.  I enjoy pacing because it gives me a chance to help out someone who is trying to hit a very specific time goal.

This 1/2 Marathon took place in my home town of Fresno, CA at Woodward Park.  The event utilized just about every trail in the park.  I personally really enjoy running this course.  It isn't very flat, but the hills aren't anything too crazy.  If you like a slightly hilly course, I highly recommend this race.

From the start to the finish of the race I had one runner stay with me the entire course.  Ashley came up to me at the start of the event and told me, "I'm going to stick with you today.  If I can then I'll set a PR (personal best)."  I told her that I'd do my best to hit our goal time and that I would make sure to keep her with me.

I did my best to hit every mile right on pace and to keep Ashley with me.  Every time I pace an event like a marathon or half marathon I do my best to run even mile splits.

I was determined to keep Ashley with me the entire run.  I did my best to push and encourage her when she needed it.  I told Ashley jokes, talked about other races we've both run in the past, why we started running, and events we had coming up in the future.

We pushed through the first 10 miles and Ashley did really well.  We were right on pace to finish in 1 hour and 50 mins.  Ashley was getting a little tired, but she was sticking with me.  The last 3.1 miles weren't pretty, but I got Ashley through them.

My chip finishing time was 1:50:15 and Ashley was right behind me finishing in 1:50:28.

One thing that always makes pacing enjoyable for me is helping people hit a time goal.  It was fun running the half marathon and helping Ashley hit a new PR.

Pacing is an easy was to help give back to the running community that has already given so much to me.  Any time I'm asked to pace, it's hard for me to turn down the offer... and I have never turned down an offer to pace yet.  I can't wait to get another chance to pace another race!!!


Until next time...

KEEP RUNNING!!!!

http://www.strava.com/activities/83917180


No comments:

Post a Comment