Friday, August 16, 2013

Feeling Nervous (Tomorrow I'm Running 100 Miles)

Tomorrow is the day... another 100 mile run.  I still wonder from time to time why I do these things.  What is it that makes me keep signing up for these races.

Tonight is the same as every per race evening.  I'm nervous, anxious, need to sleep but can't, and I can't wait to get started!!!

I had to work most of today.  The best part of the today was my evening.  I came home, got my kids ready for bed, and spent some time with them before they went to sleep.  They wanted to stay up a little late, so I let them so we could spend a few extra minutes together before I leave at 2:00a.m.

Sometimes before a race I feel the most emotionally vulnerable.  I worry about what might go through my head during the race, if I'll finish the race, if I will I mentally or physically breakdown?  I remember telling one of my friends, "I don't know if I'm running away from my demons when I'm out there...or if I'm running head first right at them."

For me a 100 mile race has always been more mentally taxing than physically.  It's a huge head game... and sometimes I'm prepared to play, and sometimes I feel like like I'm holding on for life.

When you run a 100 mile race you go through a lifetime of emotions...  All the good stuff in your life comes out, and at times the bad stuff feels like you can't shake.

My goal for this weekend is to run the best I can, to take the good with the bad, and come home with a new belt buckle.


Until next time...

KEEP RUNNING!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hope you have a super race, David.
    Glad you got to spend some special time with your kids tonight. Tomorrow will be another amazing journey- tough, but full of all the little things that make life worth living!

    ReplyDelete