Saturday, December 22, 2012

Shifting Gears

I had many goals for 2012.  I wanted to set a PR at the 5k, 50k, 50 mile, and 100 mile distance.  I also wanted to finish four 100 mile races and run 2000 miles.

I'm happy to say there was only one goal I didn't accomplish out of all of those.  That goal was setting a PR in the 5k.

Now that the year is winding down I'm taking it easy and starting over again.  All my running for the rest of the year (the next 9 days) will be easy runs.  Nothing to strenuous.  But at the beginning of 2013 that will all change.

It's been a personal goal of mine for a couple years to run a sub 18 min 5k.  To be 100% honest, I might be biting off more than I can chew.  My 5k PR is 19:01, so I have a lot to improve on.

I think as long as I stick to my plan of cross training, track workouts, and better diet I should be OK.  Avoiding injury and making sure I have good recovery time between workouts will be important also.  If I'm injured at all, I know I'll miss my goal.  If I don't hit it this coming February, the next local 5k isn't until October, and I really don't want to wait that long. 

My last ultra was back in mid November.  I'm starting to feel very recovered from all the running I've done this year, and I feel good about trying go get some good speed out of my legs. 

If all goes right, I'll finish my next 5k in 17:59 or better. 

I know what I need to do, now it's just a matter of doing it.

Until next time...

KEEP RUNNING!!!

1 comment:

  1. My 2013 5K goal is a bit more modest (sub 21:45), but it's something I'm excited to get to work on. Initially after I started getting into shape track/speed work was torture, but once my lungs started to really respond it's become somewhat addictive and I'm hoping to transfer that to improved 5K times.

    Good luck reaching your goal!

    ReplyDelete