Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Mission Accomplished

One of my goals for 2012 was to run 2000 miles.  This is a goal I've wanted to accomplish for the last few years.  I've tried logging all my miles before, but usually somewhere along the line I would forget to make log entries or even lose log books.

This year was different.  I found a running app for my phone (Runtastic) that helped me log my miles.  I was even able to link my Garmin GPS watch data to the Runtastic website. 

There were a few runs this year where I forgot to charge my Garmin, and also didn't have my phone on me, so unless I was 100% about my mileage I didn't count it.  For the most part I probably ran a few extra miles that were never logged, just because I would prefer to know I ran more miles than I officially recorded instead of accidently recording more miles than I actually ran.

I'm happy to say that last night at 8:45pm I set out for a run.  My yearly mileage was up to 1995 miles.  All I needed to do was a 5 mile run. 

I met up with my friend Travis and we set out on a run.

Most of my runs are solo, but I always like having company when I go running.

We set out on a loop around our neighborhood, and then we did a bigger loop around a field just down the street from our houses.  I knew this was going to put us over the 5 mile goal, and that's pretty much what I wanted.  Our run ended up being 8 miles long.

When we hit mile 5 of our run (mile 2000 of the year) Travis and I gave each other a high five and I celebrated in my head for a little bit.  It was a good feeling.  Another goal for 2012 crossed off the list.

I ran with Travis back to his house, thanked him for going out on a last min run with me, then ran 1/2 mile back home. 

When I got home I hit the "refresh" button on the running app on my phone and saw my new yearly mileage... 2003 miles.

I have all day off from work this coming Sunday and I plan on celebrating the only way I know how.  I'm going to the park and running all day while my wife is at work.

Until next time...

Keep Running!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment