Saturday, September 29, 2012

you can't stop progress

I ran my first 5k back in November of 2005, and a year later I ran my first half marathon.  Back when I first started running I was amazed at the number of races that were going on in Fresno.  There's a ton of local races ranging from 5k to half marathon.  We even have a race series where they keep track of the top finishers at all these local races.  I was really amazed at how big the running community was back then.

Now almost 8 years later it feels like it's just getting bigger and bigger.  Our small half marathon grew, and before I knew it we upgraded to having our local half marathon add a full marathon to the racing option in November.  In 2010 we would once again step up the distance and have the Fresno 50k, Marathon, and Half Marathon.  Unfortunately the 50k has been dropped, but I'm happy to say I ran the 50k both years it was offered.

In 2011 Fresno added another half marathon.  Our race that's held in November takes place in the North end of town.  The new event takes place in May in the downtown area of Fresno.

Now in 2012, there's another half marathon popping up.  Tomorrow morning will be the first running of the Wascally Wabbit Half Mawothon.  This race takes place at Woodward Park and will use the running trails that go throughout the park.

Now we have 2 half marathons in Fresno and one half/full marathon.  We also have all the awesome 5k, 6 mile, 10k, and 10 mile races. 

It's nice to see so many people getting into running and the local races filling up.

It's awesome to see things progressing the was they have.

No comments:

Post a Comment