Monday, April 25, 2022

Our New Fresno Hondo


On Sunday April 24th, 2022 I had the privilege of attending the Grand Opening of the new Fresno Buddhist Hondo that has, after a few delays, finally officially opened.  

I officially joined the Fresno Buddhist Temple just a couple weeks ago, and I'm very excited about this new (old) path.  Just a couple weeks ago I ran 70 miles from all the Temples in the Central Valley.  During my 70 mile run I visited Visalia, Reedley, Parlier, Kingsburg, Fowler, and Fresno.  I did this as a fundraiser for a local program that will put all the money we raised (so far $2,200.00) to a Buddhist Ministry program.  The reason I chose to do this was so that I could give back to my local Buddhist community.  Around July of last year I decided I wanted to explore Buddhism again, like I had several years ago... only this time I would do it correctly. 


The path that led me away from my Christian upbringing, later to Buddhism, then back to Christianity, and then eventually back to Buddhism is a long and complicated one, and will take me quite a bit of time to write... but I have started writing it.  Look for that blog post in about a month or two.  

Back on track...  Around July of last year I visited the Fresno Buddhist Temples website and saw that while they were not having in person services yet because of Covid, they were having services on YouTube and also a monthly Buddhism 101 class on Zoom.

I started watching the weekly services on YouTube and attending the monthly class on Zoom.

After attending classes for a few months I decided this was a path I wanted to continue on.  I felt compelled to give back to the local community in someone way, and a fundraiser that would involve running made the most sense.  I started researching where all the local Buddhist Temples were, and with the help of my new friend Reverend Kaz, I was on my way to running and taking a tour of the local Temples.

On April 2nd I ran from one temple to the next.  I had huge support from my family, friends, local running community, and local Buddhist Sangha. 

A few days before the run Reverend Kaz gave me a tour of the almost finished Fresno Hondo.  The building is breathtaking from the outside, and even more so on the inside.  I was really excited about doing the run and eventually being able to attend a service in person in the new Hondo.

The day after my run, an in person service was held outside the Hondo.  I was able to attend and meet several of the temple members.  Everyone was so inviting to me.  I was able to talk to members before and after the service, and I can honestly say that I felt like this is the place and community I've been searching for.

After attending my first in person service and talking to several members, I decided I would officially join the Sangha. 

When I later recieved an invitation to the ribbon cutting and in person service, I filled out the RSVP right away.

It was very exciting to be a part of the Fresno Temples next big step.  I look forward to the Dharma talks and being a new part of the Fresno Betsuin Family. 


Gassho

No comments:

Post a Comment