Sunday, January 31, 2016

After My Run Today...

I've learned a lot from running, especially running trails and "ultra" distances.  One thing that I have learned is that most people on the trail are friendly and nice.  We all encourage each other and support each other.  Even if we're complete strangers most of us treat each other like family and will help one another out at the drop of a hat.  If  I come across a runner who has ran out of water and needs some, I share what I have without even thinking twice.  The same goes with food, or anything else imaginable.  We are all out there sharing the trail together, having our own experience, and doing what we love doing.

It's important to take these lessons from the trail and use them in our everyday life.  I know that if I ever ran into trouble on the trail that just about any trail runner would stop and give me a hand.

...but what about when we're not on the trail.  When we get back into "the real world" we tend to go on autopilot and get sucked back into our normal routine.  I was very guilty of this today.

On my way to work I was running a little late and didn't have time to make lunch.  I got to the shopping center where I work on the nicer north end of town and stopped to get something to eat really quick at Panda Express.  As I was walking up to the Panda Express a man started walking up to me and told me he was hungry and asked me if I could buy him something to eat.  I was in a hurry, and I could tell that he realized that, and before I could answer him he told me "never mind" and walked away.

The man looked cold and was soaked.  It had been raining all day, and just a few hours before this I was on the trail running in the rain and playing in the mud.  After my run I went home, jumped in a hot shower, and got ready for work.  This man wasn't playing outside, he wasn't about to go dry off and take a hot shower, and he looked like he honestly had nowhere to go and didn't know where to go.

I was inside Panda Express getting my order, thinking about what had just happened seconds ago, and when the lady asked me if I needed anything else I told her that I needed a $20.00 gift card.  I thought to myself, "if this was some random dude on the trail I would help him out, this is no different."  I saw that this guy was embarrassed to ask for help.  He wasn't the typical guy on the corner with his hand out and his cardboard sign.  He was walking with his head down, soaking wet, with nothing but a water bottle in his hand... no belongings... nothing...

I went outside and saw the man standing by the Starbucks trying to stay dry.  He noticed that I was walking over to him and he started walking over to meet me halfway.  I asked him how long he had been "out here" and he said for a few months, and that it was a long story.  I handed him the gift card and told him that there was $20.00 on it and that he should go get something to eat.  His eyes started to tear up and he tried to shake my hand, but I declined his handshake and I gave him a hug instead, because I felt that he really needed it.

I apologized to Kenny for the way I acted earlier and told him that life shouldn't be so busy that we ignore people when they ask for help.   I wish him well and headed to work.

If you see that someone needs help, you should always stop to help them.  I wish a had something more profound and elegant to say to end this blog post, but I don't.



Until nest time...

KEEP RUNNING!!!!

...and if you see someone in need, don't ignore them.


No comments:

Post a Comment