Friday, November 20, 2015

Going Solo

Most of the training I do is done solo.  Running, cycling, weights, etc... I tend to train by myself and without training partners.  For the most part I'm happy with that.  I'm very introverted and really like to have time by myself, and it's really hard for me to be in crowds.  That might be why I like trail runs where there aren't a lot of people vs road races.

Don't get me wrong, I like being around people and hanging out with friends, but afterwards I tend to really need some alone time to decompress.

As much as I enjoy my solo training runs, lately I've really felt the need to have a running buddy.  Luckily I work at a speciality running store so I have plenty of chances to meet runners.

The last 2 weeks I've had friends accompany me on my training runs.  This last week was really nice.  I ran some trails with my friend/coworker Tabitha on Tuesday, ran at the park with Carly on Wednesday, and ran with my new friend Megan on Thursday.  Today I was a little pressed for time and went on a solo run and did some hill repeats.

I'm normally pretty quiet when I first meet people and tend to be a little withdrawn until I'm comfortable with people and even the environment I'm in.  I've never been outgoing and I'm not the kind of person that just goes up to people and just starts talking.

The one exception to this shyness for me is when I'm running.  For some reason when I'm out running at the park, or during a race, I feel really comfortable with myself.  I totally let my guard down and I feel very at ease.  When I'm running I can hold a conversation with a complete stranger and not think twice about it.  This normally won't ever happen in non running situations.

I feel really lucky to have running partners right now.  Right now I feel like I have some really cool down to earth people to share my long miles with.  I really enjoy the conversations we have during our runs, and I also enjoy those long quiet miles where we are just running hard and pushing each other.

I will always love going out and running by myself and clearing my head, but right now I'm really enjoying burning a few miles with my friends.

Until next time...

KEEP RUNNING!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment