Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Backup Plan

I woke up at 5:15am today to do my typical Tuesday early morning hill repeats at the park.

My Monday night workout left me a little more drained than normal.  I'm training for a 5k that's coming up soon.  I'm going to try to PR so my training has shifted from long traing runs, to short faster runs.

Currently my Monday workout is consisting of 10 mins of jumping rope, a hard 2 mile run, jumping rope for another 10 mins, another hard 2 mile run, and then finishing with 10 more mins of jumping rope.

After all that I head over to Jiu-Jitsu and train for 90 mins, and once that is over I drive across town to teach a cardio boxing class at the gym I work at here in Fresno.

Then I head home and lift weights before I go to bed.

So... when I woke up today to go do my hill repeats, I was really tired.  I headed out the door, got on my car and headed to the park.   Halfway to the park I realized something very important... my Garmin watch.

This wasn't a problem because I normally have a backup watch on my glove box.  But, when I opened my glove box I realized that my backup watch wasn't in the glove box of my car because I took it out the other day to use it at the gym. 

This was a major problem because I needed to be home by 7:00am to get my son ready for school.  My run was about to become very short.  Then I remembered that I had my cellphone fully charged and I have a running app installed on it.

So, when my backup plan failed, I was able to find a backup for my backup.  I really don't like running with my cellphone, especially when my running shorts don't have pockets, but it's better than nothing. 
I generally try to keep backup supplies in my car.  You never know when you might forget something.  I generally keep a running outfit, a pair of shoes and socks, a few bottles of water, a headlamp, and an extra watch in my car.  You never know when you might need to replace something.

I also like keeping all that stuff in my car because you never know when you might be driving around town a think to yourself, "I should totally go for a run right now!!"  It's nice to have the means to go for an unplanned last second run.

Until next time...

KEEP RUNNING!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment