Wednesday, November 21, 2012

turkey trot

Back in 2005 I ran my very first race.  It was the Thanksgiving day 5k Turkey Trot.  I got suckered into running it, and at the time I was not a runner.  I remember how difficult the course was (and still is) and how I though the race was never going to end.

Tomorrow morning is Thanksgiving, and I will run the Turkey Trot at Woodward Park just like I do every year.  The race gets bigger and bigger every year.  It's amazing how many people line up at the start line every year.  This has never been a race that I've been able to run very fast.  It's honestly the one 5k that I run the slowest.  The course is very hilly and challenging, but that's one of the things I enjoy about it.  Really flat and fast 5k races are fun, but hilly challenging courses are fun too.

This will probably never be a race where I set my 5k pr, but that doesn't mean I won't try to hit a pr for this particular course.

My 5k pr is 19:01, but my fastest time for the Turkey Trot is 20:48 (this is the time I ran the event in last year).  Hopefully I'll be feeling good tomorrow and I'll be able to run a good race.  Two weeks ago I ran a 125 mile race, and I'm feeling pretty recovered.  I guess tomorrow I'll see just how well I have recovered.

I also like running this race because over the last few years it has become a family event.  My sister Kathy talked me into running the event many years ago, and now we run the event every year with each other.  In the last few years my sister, Christine, has also joined us along with her daughters Samantha and Nicole.

Tomorrow I expect to see some very fast runners, some first time runners, some old school runners, runners is silly costumes, and families just out there having a good time together before they eat a crazy amount of food for Thanksgiving.

Now it's time for me to get to bed so I can get some rest before my race tomorrow morning.


Until next time... Keep running!!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment