Friday, January 1, 2016

First Race Of 2016

As I was driving home with my kids from Jiu Jitsu class on Wednesday morning my daughter mentioned to me that she wanted to run a race.  I had no intention on running a race anytime soon, but the New Years Day race still had registration open so I suggested to my kids that we could run the race.  Ashley was pretty excited about running, but Brandon wasn't too thrilled about it, but I signed him up anyway.

On our way home from Jiu Jitsu I stopped by Fleet Feet and signed up my kids for the race, and I decided I might as well run too. 

 I signed myself up for the 4 mile race, Brandon for the 1/2 mile, and Ashley for the 1/4 mile.
The race was at Woodward Park and started at 9:00am.  Lately I've been feeling more and more confident with my training, especially after how well I ran at the 5k Turkey Trot and the Woodside 50k (I will have a blog up shortly about both of those events).



The race started, and we all took off.  I was going way too fast at the beginning, but I wasn't feeling terrible so I started to just backed off a little on my pace.  I was running up in the front of the pack at the beginning of the race. By the time I hit the first mile (5 mins 52 secs) I was in 4th place.  I was wondering how long this pace would last, especially since I was feeling pretty good.


We got to the turnaround point and I checked my time. I had ran the first 2 miles in 11 mins and 53 secs.  At this point I realized that during this 4 mile race I was on pace to set a 5k pr during this event.  I was getting pretty excited because while I was starting to get tired, I wasn't feeling all that bad.
I continued pushing and hit the 5k point at 18 mins 48 secs, and 10 secs faster than my 5k pr.

I was slowly getting more and more tired, and there was a very slight climb during part of the last mile.  I already knew my pace would start to drop, but at this point it was almost done.  I kept pushing as hard as I could and finished in 25 mins and 18 secs.  This put me in 4th place overall and 1st place in my age group.


After my race, it was time for the kids to run their race.  Ashley and Brandon both started at the same time. Their run was a short out and back.  Both of them ran as fast as they could.  Ashley finished 2nd place in the 1/4 mile and Brandon finished 2nd place in the 1/2 mile.  Both of them are starting to have more fun running the kids races, and they are starting to get a little faster.


I'm not 100% sure what my next race will be, but I'm really looking forward to trying to run it fast.



Until next time...


KEEP RUNNING!!!!

...and Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment